Back after popular demand after the Matrix of Textile show last spring, this year's exhibit is a chance to rethink textile, with works from Emily Carr University students of design, painting, printmaking, sculpture, bookbinding, photography and multimedia — and anything else we forgot.

Curated by Jennifer Norquist

Curtis Oland


I am interested in the aesthetic of certain art historical periods, (specifically the Rococo), and I try to create my work within a contemporary context while still keeping to an 18th century style. I am attracted to expressions of wealth, frivolity, and sensuality. I rarely create a work that I don't have some kind of sexual attraction to. With my piece here, I am looking into stereotypes of sexuality and gender, and creating a contrast between our perceptions of what is masculine and what is feminine. The football player is a figure of hyper masculinity that contradicts the delicate, rich fabrics that adorn the protective equipment. The piece also has a fetish-like quality. Whether the wearer is male or female, there is a kind of homoeroticism. My work, although while somewhat political, is playful in nature and is not meant to be taken too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment