Back after popular demand after the Matrix of Textile show last spring, this year's exhibit is a chance to rethink textile, with works from Emily Carr University students of design, painting, printmaking, sculpture, bookbinding, photography and multimedia — and anything else we forgot.

Curated by Jennifer Norquist

Chun Hua Catherine Dong


Life itself is a performance. I consider performance an attitude rather than a medium, anideology rather than a style, a situation rather than an action. As part of my interest in identity politics and postmodern feminism, I utilize my own body as a disturbance or intervention in order to explore ruptures in society. I do not attempt to reclaim my female body from masculine objectification and the gaze, nor dismiss its potential to arouse desire and fantasy. On the contrary, I expose my vulnerable Asian body within the western context and let it become an object to be gazed at and closely examined. The body only functions as a disturbance that might arouse desires, but not a real object to be physical possessed and controlled.

No comments:

Post a Comment